The quality of air inside commercial buildings has never been a larger concern than it is now. It’s not just over concerns of communicable diseases being spread around indoors, but with the general problem with ventilation that has made commercial buildings stuffy, dusty, and filled with a range of pollutants that can cause everything from minor irritations to major health complications.
Commercial IAQ isn’t a hopeless case, however. We offer help for commercial indoor air quality in Everett, WA for our clients. There’s no single solution for IAQ troubles—it all depends on the building and the business.
Why Indoor Air Quality for Commercial Buildings Is Often Bad
Numerous studies have shown that the quality of the air inside a commercial building is often three to five times worse than the outdoor air, and this goes against what most people believe about air pollution, which is that it’s something outside. The reason for the IAQ issues in buildings is a combination of two factors:
- There are numerous sources of air pollutants located inside commercial buildings. Paint, building material, carpet, toner cartridges, cleaning products, pressed wood, and more put harmful volatile organic compounds (VOCs) and chemicals into the air.
- Because buildings are constructed tightly to conserve energy, these pollutants from inside have few opportunities to escape outdoors, leading to a growing concentration of unhealthy air.
The effects of this poor air quality can cause productivity to drop in a workspace due to nausea, headaches, and fatigue. And these are only the short-term problems. If a building has trouble with mold, the health effects can be dangerous.
You Know What the Problems May Be—Now What?
You may already know that your commercial facility has poor air quality. Even if you haven’t noticed issues with health and productivity, it’s still a good idea to have a commercial HVAC contractor look over your building to see if it could use improvements. That’s always the first step: calling the professionals. You can’t jerry-rig indoor air quality solutions, and no amateur can take on this job.
Our HVAC professionals can find out what improvements your facility needs to enjoy pleasant, healthy air. Here are some ways we can help:
- Air filtration and air purification systems. Installing special devices into the ventilation system to trap unwanted particles or “zap” them with electronic fields is one of the basic ways to get control over indoor pollutants. We’ll take all the necessary steps to see you these filters don’t also harm air circulation, which is an error amateurs often make.
- Humidity balance. Poor indoor humidity balance—either too dry in winter or too humid in summer—is a major factor in reducing comfort in a building. We have the dehumidifiers and humidifiers to take care of this.
- HVAC system upgrades. Your old, aging heating and air conditioning system may be at fault for the air quality issues. If you haven’t upgraded your equipment in over a decade, this may be one of the reasons IAQ has suffered so much.
Trust us to find the right way to fix your commercial indoor air quality. We are certified and union-trained in light-commercial HVAC services.
Evergreen State Heat & AC has helped improve commercial HVAC in Snohomish County and the Eastside since 1968. Schedule service with us today.